What makes a signed document legal?
What is an electronic signature?
- with the help of stylus (or finger);
- using a cursor;
- by uploading a photo of your hand-written signature;
- by typing your name (you can change fonts to make it look more like written on the paper).
Due to the fact that ‘signature’ is associated with something created exclusively with one’s hand and ink, it took a while for the electronic analog to take root in modern society. However, as soon as it did, people noticed its indisputable advantages.
Benefits of e-signatures
- 1. Time-savingSigning things the old fashioned way can take up to 5-6 days depending on who and where the signers are, while e-signing only takes a few minutes.
- 2. Cost-efficientThink about the amount of paper, ink and other supplies that are spent on hard-copy documents every day, not to mention the logistic expenses.
- 3. ConvenientThere are situations when someone cannot physically be present when something needs to be signed and the need to do it remotely arises. Sending documents there and back with a courier is time-consuming and costly. This is why e-signing tools like signNow are so valued among companies.
- 4. Secure If anyone wants to look at your documents without your consent or forge your electronic signature, good software for e-signing your papers will surely alert you.
A digital signature vs. an electronic signature: the same or different?
An electronic signature (a more detailed explanation has already been outlined at the beginning of this article) indicates that the signer accepts the content of the document. The nature of the e-autograph is not so important. The only thing that matters here is who put the signature there and that the paper hasn’t been altered in any way afterward.
The main and key difference between the two is that a digital signature is primarily focused on the document’s security while the aim of the electronic signature is verifying the document or showing your intent to sign it.
Is an e-signed document legally-binding?
- Content of the document;
- Who the signees are;
- If the document has been altered after signing.
How to add an electronic signature to a document?
- Open the tool online in any browser.
- Upload the document (contract, agreement, etc.) you need to get signed.
- In one click insert a fillable field(s).
- Add signers in the order the document has to be signed.
- Add your signature and send the e-document to the other parties.
- Add two-factor verification to improve your file’s security (optional).