How to sign a document electronically
- Quick to start
- 24/7 support
Join Fortune 500 companies speeding up their workflows with signNow
eSign documents with signNow and get more value from your daily document-based operations
How electronically sign a document with signNow
eSign documents with signNow and you’ll see a difference in your daily operations
Build complex eSignature workflows from scratch
Collaborate on documents with your team
Save and store documents in a single secure environment
Access and work with documents from any device
Integrate with other productivity and data storage tools
Reasons to eSign documents with signNow
- Free 7-day trial. Make sure our electronic signature solution meets all of your needs risk-free.
- Honest pricing. signNow has no hidden fees, so you always know how much you’re pay.
- Enterprise-grade security. All your electronic signatures comply with global security standards.
A quick guide on how to sign a document online
Learn how you can quickly sign documents online without the need for paper below:
- 1. Log in to your account and click Upload or Create to upload a file.
- 2. Click on the uploaded document in the Dashboard to get started.
- 3. Find the Fill Out Myself tab on the left of your screen.
- 4. Use ✓ or ◯ to mark or select the option(s) in the document.
- 5. Hit 🕔 to date the document before signing.
- 6. Select My Signature (✑ ) from the tab and place the signature box on the needed area to eSign document.
- 7. Click Save and Close to finish the process.
Other signing tools allow you to sign documents online and little else, while signNow offers other handy features to collect data, legally-binding signatures, and payments. The best part is that they all are immediately available, no matter the platform or device you use. signNow is also packed with enough capabilities to build entire eSignature workflows that can be supercharged with multiple integrations. Give signNow a try today and see for yourself.
How it works
Rate us now!
Millions of users choose signNow as their go-to eSignature solution
What do you like best?Read the full review
What do you like best?Read the full review
What do you like best?Read the full review
What do you like best?Read the full review
Instructions on how to securely sign documents online
Certifying a document electronically isn’t just about adding a signature with a digital device. It requires a signer to use a secure and industry-compliant solution to ensure that an executed copy will be legally binding and admissible by court.
With that said, we recommend using signNow. Not only is it an all-in-one eSignature solution, but it also doubles as a powerful tool for collecting information and building complex eSignature workflows. Additionally, it has all the security and legal frameworks in place required for a secure and compliant signing experience.
Here’s how to eSign a document legally and securely with signNow.
Step 1. Uploading a document
Click the Upload or Create button to add or drag and drop your file. We support a vast majority of file formats, including PDF, DOCX, PPTX, JPG, and PNG. If you upload a file in a format other than PDF, the system will convert it to one automatically. PDF is court-admissible and better optimized for various platforms than other formats. Plus, it offers more options to secure the uploaded file.
Step 2. Creating an eSignature
Once your document is uploaded, click to open it. On the left, you will find a Menu toolbar. Scroll down the toolbar and select My Signature from the Fill Out Myself tab. Click Add New Signature and select how you want to generate it. If you want, you can set your newly created signature as your default eSignature by selecting the respective option at the bottom. Click Sign to finish the process.
Step 3. Collecting eSignatures
To request signatures from recipients, scroll back up the left menu bar and select Signature Field from the Add Fillable Fields for Recipients tab. Place it anywhere on the document. Use the advanced field settings on the right to assign it to a specific recipient and make the field conditional. You can use the same feature to collect other data as well, including text, initials, name, attachments, etc.
Step 4. Sharing and organizing documents
Once you’re done signing and adding fillable fields, you can save the document by clicking Save and Close. signNow lets you move the documents between folders and workspaces and create individual access rights. If you need to send it to be completed by other parties, you can share it with them via a link or send it via email. You can also add an additional layer of protection to your documents with dual-factor authentication using a password, text, or phone call, which you can choose as you prepare to send the document. This way, you will ensure that your document will end up in the right hands.
Use signNow to eSign documents and request eSignature and other data from anywhere!
Get legally-binding signatures now!
- Best ROI. Our customers achieve an average 7x ROI within the first six months.
- Scales with your use cases. From SMBs to mid-market, signNow delivers results for businesses of all sizes.
- Intuitive UI and API. Sign and send documents from your apps in minutes.
eSign documents online with signNow for maximum results
signNow makes it possible for everyone to sign documents electronically or request signatures from other parties without the need for paper or back-and-forth communication.
Here’s a quick rundown of benefits you get when you sign documents online or offline with signNow:
- Intuitive interface: signNow makes it easy for everyone to get started with eSignature and learn how to eSign documents in minutes.
- Increased transparency: Our solution lets you track documents’ changes down to the details with the Audit Trail feature and prevents unauthorized access with anti-tempering technology.
- Versatile functionality: You get all of the needed tools to collect signatures, data, payments, and attachments from other parties directly from your document. Plus, you can create document templates to streamline your daily processes.
- Compliance and security: We adhere to eSignature-related laws across the USA, UK, and Europe and follow the best general and industry-specific data protection practices.
- Integration capabilities: With signNow, you can sign documents electronically while bringing all your productivity tools and systems of record under one roof.
The roadblocks associated with physical signature shouldn’t get in the way of your deadlines and projects. Discover a whole new way of how to electronically sign documents.
FAQs about electronic signature
What is the best way to sign documents online?The internet offers a wide array of tools that allow anyone to sign documents online. However, they don’t always come with enough capabilities to create a legally-binding and industry-compliant signature. signNow lets you create an electronic signature that will be valid and admissible in court. signNow is compliant with related eSignature laws and adheres to major data protection frameworks accepted across different industries. Discover what benefits our solution can bring to the table by checking out this page.
How do I sign electronically and stay compliant?signNow lets you eSign a document and stay compliant with data protection laws, such as GDPR, FERPA (for education), HIPAA (for healthcare), and eSignature laws (ESIGN, UETA, and eIDAS). All signatures you create with signNow will be legally binding and have the same legal weight as wet ones in the eyes of the law. Please follow the link to learn more about how we protect user data and ensure compliance.
Can I eSign a Word document?Yes, you can add an eSignature directly in the document. To do so:
- 1. Open your MS file.
- 2. Go to the Insert tab > select the
Signature Line option.
- 3. Type in your name in the Signature Setup box > click OK.
How do I sign a document on iPhone?To sign a document on an iPhone:
- 1. Install the signNow app.
- 2. Tap Create at the bottom to upload a document.
- 3. Select Myself under «Who needs to sign?» if you’re the only signer > tap on the Signature field.
- 4. Create and add your signature > tap Done, and then Save.
How do I sign a document on an Android?With signNow, signing documents on your Android has never been easier. To do so:
- 1. Add a file for signature by choosing what suits your needs.
- 2. Select Signature from the bottom left menu bar > place the signature box over the needed part of the document > draw your signature.
- 3. Go back to the document > eSign it and save it by clicking the checkmark sign in the top right corner.
How to sign a PDF document on my phone offlinesignNow, unlike other similar eSignature solutions, lets you sign a document online even while offline. To do so, you need to:
- 1. Upload your file > select the Signature field.
- 2. Draw your autograph > save the document.
How do I sign a document online with my handwritten signature?signNow provides users with complete flexibility when it comes to eSigning. To add your handwritten signature to a document, start by taking a picture of your physical signature and uploading it to your computer. Add a document to the signNow editor, drag the My signature field from the left toolbar and drop it wherever is needed on the document. Choose Upload Your Signature to add the saved image of your signature, and then click Sign to eSign the document.
How does a digital signature differ from an electronic one?Generally speaking, eSignatures and digital signatures are both valid and legal tools for acknowledging one’s consent to the terms of a document. Digital signatures comes with complex mathematical algorithms that allow for enhanced data encryption. While digital signatures are used in industries heavily regulated by local, federal, and international laws, eSignatures are suitable for daily business and personal document-based tasks, provided that they’re compliant with all required eCommerce and data protection laws. With signNow, a compliant solution, you can eSign documents with legally-binding signatures in clicks. Learn more about how businesses across various industries use signNow for their daily operations here.
How do I have another person eSign a document?To request a signature in signNow, start by uploading a file. Open the file in our editor. Next, click on Edit Recipients in the left toolbar, then Add Recipient. Add the recipient’s email, assign them a role, and hit Save Changes. Add a signature block to your document by selecting Signature Field in the Add Fillable Fields for Recipients toolbar. Move the signature block to wherever it belongs in the document. If you added a recipient to receive the document for signing, they will be assigned to this signature block by default. You can make the field conditional by using the advanced settings on the right-hand side of the editor. Click Invite to Sign in the top right corner to finalize the process. signNow is designed to provide a smooth experience for all signers, no matter what device they’re on.
Can I eSign a document in person?signNow’s Kiosk Mode lets anyone collect legally-binding signatures on the spot using a mobile phone or tablet, even while offline. You don’t need to integrate any third-party tools to get it up and running. Simply choose the file you need and upload it to signNow, add fillable fields, and turn the document into a template. Then, enable the Kiosk mode and select the document you need from the Templates folder. signNow makes it easy for those out and about to sign a document.
How electronically sign documents with minimal effort on your part
How to sign a document online
Are you still using physical signatures for your daily document-based tasks? It’s time you rethought your process. With signNow, you no longer need to print and send documents back and forth to get them signed. eSign, request signatures, and send your documents to multiple people using a single app and no paper at all.
Here’s how to certify a document electronically with signNow:
- 01.Log in to your signNow account or register for one.
- 02.Click Upload or Create to add a file for signature.
- 03.Click My Signature (✑ ) in the left toolbar to add and customize your signature.
- 04.Use the ✓, ◯, 🕔, ╱, ✎ buttons to annotate the text and add more info to it.
- 05.Click Save and Close to finalize the changes.
signNow is a multi-functional tool that allows you not only to sign a document but also redact and annotate it online. If you want to learn about all the bells and whistles that signNow has to offer, visit this page.
How to sign a PDF document in Google Chrome
There is a good chance that you spend most of your time online in Google Chrome. So why not make this time even more efficient? signNow offers an extension that helps you improve your signing experience without leaving your browser.
Use these brief instructions to eSign a document in Google Chrome:
- 01.Locate the signNow extension in the Chrome Web Store.
- 02.Install it on your laptop and open a PDF file.
- 03.Create a signature by choosing one of the available methods.
- 04.Download your completed document.
- 05.Share it with others for further edits.
It only takes a few clicks to sign PDF documents with the signNow extension. Because signNow is a cloud-based solution, all files you upload to signNow are securely stored in the cloud and can be accessed from any device.
How to eSign a document in Gmail
Over the years, Gmail has evolved its interface and functionality to help tackle our correspondence needs more efficiently. Yet, it lacks a critical feature that would let users sign documents directly in their inbox. Luckily, there is a signNow extension for Gmail.
Here’s how you can sign documents from within your inbox using our extension:
- 01. Install the signNow add-on.
- 02. Click on the signNow add-on in the top-left sidebar in your inbox.
- 03. Open an email with an attachment and hit Upload.
- 04. Drag the My Signature (✑ ) field from the left and drop it onto the document.
- 05. Save the completed document or continue to make other edits.
signNow helps you get one step closer to making your Gmail inbox more efficient and dealing with pending signature requests faster. It provides you with a flawless signing experience from within your Gmail account and gives you all the tools you need to edit documents and request signatures and/or information from other parties.
How to eSign a document in a mobile browser
Do you travel often, making something as simple as signing a document a considerable inconvenience? If yes, then you probably need an eSignature solution that gives you the flexibility to complete documents from anywhere. signNow is a tool that allows you to eSign documents on the go in a mobile browser. No app download needed!
Follow these steps to sign documents online in any mobile browser:
- 01. Go to the signNow website.
- 02. Upload a document that needs eSignature.
- 03. Tap My Signature (✑ ) on the left to create one.
- 04. Tap to place it anywhere on the document.
- 05. Hit Save and Close to save the changes.
signNow’s interface and functionality don’t differ across platforms and devices. So you don’t need to start over and re-learn how to sign documents each time you switch between them. In addition, signNow has mobile apps for iOS and Android. Follow this link and learn how to get the most out of mobile signing with signNow.
How to sign a document on an iPhone
Today’s hectic business world requires us to make decisions and deal with time-sensitive tasks with lightning speed. For that, we need a reliable tool that will help us cross our t’s and dot our i’s from anywhere and at any time. signNow’s mobile app is set up to make your mobile signing experience fast, secure, and simple.
Learn how to sign a document on iPhone with the signNow mobile app below:
- 01. Install the signNow app from the App Store.
- 02. Tap the plus sign to add a document for signing.
- 03. On the new screen, select Myself under «Who needs to sign?» if you’re the only signer.
- 04. Tap Signature to eSign a document.
- 05. Click Done to finish signing.
If you need to request signatures from other parties, select the Myself and Others option after you’ve uploaded your document. With the signNow app, you’ll spend little to no time signing documents, even when offline.
How electronically sign a document on your Android
Time isn’t on your side when you’re away from your desk and need to sign documents. But with the right tool, like signNow for Android, you can complete your documents while also expediting the process and making it paper-free.
Here are steps explaining how to sign a document on your Android device:
- 01. Install the signNow app and log in to it.
- 02. Add a document by tapping the ➕ sign.
- 03. Tap Signature in the bottom toolbar to draw your eAutograph.
- 04. Tap anywhere on the document to eSign it.
- 05. Save changes by tapping the ✓ sign in the top right corner.
On top of the basic signing features, signNow offers what you need to collect legally-binding signatures, information, and payments; to track the document completion status directly from your mobile app; and to collaborate on documents with your team. It also features a Kiosk Mode that allows for in-person eSigning. Visit this page and learn how you and your business can benefit from our eSignature mobile app.