- Electronic Signature
- Questions & Answers
- Can we pre-fill a document with data before sending it out
Can we pre-fill a document with data before sending it out?
When filling out documents, there is nothing more frustrating than having to reenter the same information. Completing multiple documents manually is exhausting. But even when you are filling out a document using an eSignature solution, many of the same problems remain. Most forms and documents contain fields for collecting personal information such as your full address, position, and so on, before getting to the point. In signNow you can simplify the completing and signing process by pre-filling the documents you send for signing.
What are the benefits of auto-populating form fields?
Automatically completing fields with data that you already have makes completing documents easier for everyone:
- Filling out a document becomes a breeze
- You avoid human-based mistakes, eliminating manual data entry
- You and your recipients save time and prevent delays
How to pre-fill data in signNow?
There are two ways to incorporate pre-filled data into your forms. One is by creating a pre-filled form and the other is by using a feature called Smart Fields. This feature is used to send documents to multiple users via a Signing Link or the Bulk Invite features.
How to create a pre-filled form?
To create a pre-filled form, start by adding fillable fields. Your document will be automatically turned into a dynamic fillable form. In signNow, fields vary between different types: text, number, date, initials, checkbox, dropdowns, etc. Your signers can add their eSignatures in the Signature fields, type their names in Text fields, insert the date of signing in the Date field, enter their Social Security Number, and more. Pre-fill any document with your information in the signNow editor by following the steps below:
- Start by importing documents from your device or cloud.
- Drag & drop smart fillable fields (signature, text, date/time).
- Change the size of a field by dragging its corners.
- Click on any of the fillable fields you’ve added and type your information in the Prefilled text field on a sidebar menu.
- Click Ok.
- To save all changes, click DONE.
The document will be opened with the needed fields already filled out.
To provide simple and accurate document completion, use Labels. They are your guide for what should be placed in a field. It could be ‘First name’, ‘Last name’ ‘Address’ or ‘Company name’, for example. And if there are multiple places on your form or document for the signer’s name, label each text field ‘Name’. When the signer is filling out your document, after they have completed the first “Name” field, they will see their response auto-filled into the remaining three fields with the “Name” label when they click on these fields throughout the document.
Your signer may choose to leave the pre-filled text as it is or change it according to their preferences. The document can be submitted for completion regardless of whether or not there are any changes to the pre-filled text.
Automate business processes with the ultimate suite of tools that are customizable for any use case.
- Award-winning eSignature. Approve, deliver, and eSign documents to conduct business anywhere and anytime.
- End-to-end online PDF editor. Create, edit, and manage PDF documents and forms in the cloud.
- Online library of 85K+ state-specific legal forms. Find up-to-date legal forms and form packages for any use case in one place.