Divorce Papers & Forms
Browse over 85,000 state-specific fillable forms for all your business and personal needs. Customize legal forms using advanced signNow tools.
Get legally-binding signatures now!
What is a Complaint for Dissolution of Marriage?
How do you go about getting a divorce (uncontested without children)?
- Decide where you would like to petition the court. You can file in any state provided that you fulfill the residence requirements.
- Create an initial settlement offer together with your spouse.
- Prepare and submit the Complaint for Dissolution of Marriage.
- Serve divorce papers to your spouse. In most states, it can only be made through a third party.
Where do you file for dissolution?
What might be the legal grounds for initiating a dissolution process?
Grounds for divorce are treated differently in different states. Some of the most common are:
- Conviction of crime
- Domestic violence
- Mental illness
- Alcohol and drug addiction/dependence
- Mental incapacity
It’s now possible to file for a no-fault divorce in all US states. It means that a petitioner doesn’t need to prove or show any evidence to the court that their marriage is irrevocably broken. However, some states do require the consent of both parties. Depending on circumstances, sometimes providing the reasons for divorce might influence how the judge will rule on the case.
Is dating during divorce considered adultery?
Is it possible to make a DIY divorce without an attorney?
Do you need to disclose financial information?
Are there any alternative options designed to be used by persons contemplating a divorce?
Divorce is one of the most emotionally and financially overwhelming processes that might ever occur in one’s life. Fortunately, some alternatives might help soon-to-be-separated couples if not sail through all the legalities, then make it at least more peaceful.
- Separate maintenance. It’s a process in which you address the same issues and matters as you would do during the divorce proceedings, except that it doesn’t end your marriage. Some couples prefer this option of remaining married and keep all the benefits that the status gives. Each state has different legal frameworks for dealing with “separate maintenance.” Before filing for it, make sure to check the required information.
- Divorce meditation. It’s aimed at resolving all divorce-related issues by involving a non-biased third-party mediator. This person doesn’t necessarily need to be a lawyer, but they must know all the ins and outs of family law and state jurisdiction. Having a mediator facilitates the separation process.
- Annulment. It serves to confirm that the marriage was not valid from the outset. It can be granted only under certain circumstances, such as concealment of fraud or incapacitation of one partner that wasn’t capable of consenting to a marriage, etc. After the union is proclaimed annulled, they can’t claim for property division.